Thank you...

Wow.

I never knew how good it would feel to be open.  I am also a little shaky at the thought that I have opened up my life to a lot more people than I have probably opened up to in my entire 23 years!

Illnesses such as depression and eating disorders are extremely lonely ones to live with.  Every part of you wants to be alone, away from the world that just seems so dark and hopeless.  In some ways it has been harder for those around me like family and friends as they have struggled to help me find the happiness that they can see in life. 

What I realised over time and meeting more and more people who have suffered these debilitating conditions, was that I wasn't any less normal than the girls in my class or the neighbours on my street. I was suffering a very real and harsh illness.  It used to annoy me when I was told 'Depression should be treated no differently to a broken toe'.  I could not come to terms with that.  But it is true.  Perfectly true.

I am being blunt I know, but this is what is needed.  To keep this to myself is staying in my little igloo.  I want that to change.  And it already has!

Thank you to my classmates on my Whatsapp chat for being so understanding XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On therapy and therapists Part I

Life without ED

Another day, another post...