I climbed Everest

This week I ventured into pastures new. I started a four week ‘Mental Health First Aid’ course being run by JAMI, a [fantastic] North West London based mental health charity.

Truth be told, I was a little apprehensive about it.  Am I really ready to be learning how to deal with people in the depths of their depression? Am I fit to be reaching out to those in need of a listening ear? Can I help someone who sees no point in living?

As the group went on I found myself warming to the idea.  Okay, I am not fully better yet and I still have difficult times, but who doesn't?! 

I dare say, in many ways I am more equipped than some of the doctors and professionals out there.  Those who study psychology and/or psychiatry as an academic study may not be able to fully understand the pain someone with depression may be in.  What I can give is real-life experience.  Not only can I sympathise, but I can empathise; because I have felt the pain.  I have been in that place where nothing has meaning, where every day seems to last for an eternity and where even the simplest of tasks feel like climbing Mt. Everest.

For there is no person more qualified to help someone suffering with depression than someone who has overcome the illness themselves. Some of the places a person may find themselves in when they are low are incomprehensible to someone who hasn't been there. No one can understand the feeling of waking up at 2am and wanting the day to be over already, but knowing that you will be up for the next 15 hours with nothing but dark thoughts to accompany you. Who can help someone understand that anhedonia is not reality; if not someone who has overcome it themselves.

I feel it.  I feel that pain.  You tell me your story and I feel it - because I know it.
But what I also know is that Mt. Everest has the most breath-taking view; one that you cannot see unless you push yourself to the top.  From the mountain, you can see what life really is, the beauty that the world holds. For there is nothing more beautiful than finding yourself in a place where depression is no longer.

Hope is up there with recovery and true happiness. Believe me I know - I am a survivor.

Thank you to JAMI for giving me this opportunity, it is a fantastic course run by even more fantastic staff!  I hope I can use the information I gain from the course to help many people!

Rivkah Xx

Comments

  1. omg rivkush this is amazing and way too true, u are an amazing writer almost cried. i wish i would have the courage and frame of mind to do this about my past, but im not yet ready. guys this takes enourmous strength-even to just be writing this awesome blog. i love u xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A man goes to the
    doctor. Says he's
    depressed. He says life
    seems harsh and
    cruel. Says he feels all
    alone in a threatening
    world where what lies
    ahead is vague and
    uncertain. The doctor
    says "The treatment is
    simple. The great
    clown Pagliacci is in
    town tonight. Go and
    see him, that should
    pick you up." The man
    bursts into tears. He
    says "But doctor... I
    am Pagliacci." --
    WATCHMEN


    I have often wondered, how can i give advice to others, what have i dine in my life that makes me suitable to give over to others, indeed rav dessler says its very difficult to pour to others if you yourself dont have a full cup, but then i thought to myself. No thats not true, because if everyone always waited to be perfect before helping others, no-one would ever get help, and in fact as you rightly say, if ive been through the same stuff they are going through right now, my advice could make the biggest difference. Even if im not a proffesional, i cant cure people, but i can help in the first stage, in the listening, in the venting.

    In the story above, i take the message that even the helpers need help, one can really only help others if once they struggled and were helped. Empathy wins every time

    Your stuff is excellent dear loadsa love

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a question. can you explain the feeling of not wanting to commit suicide but not wanting to live either?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On therapy and therapists Part I

Life without ED

Another day, another post...