+ Coping Mechanisms

Following a conversation on Twitter (my favourite place to hang out nowadays FYI) about positive coping mechanisms, I thought I would take a look at some of the ones I have used and found helpful.

On the day I was admitted into hospital a few years back, I remember being ceremoniously dumped into the 'crafts' room (dare I say a room looking more like an art supply cupboard found in your local Primary School than somewhere one would find therapeutic solace). At first I felt rather daft sitting there; colouring and painting was for kids, not grown adults. The flower pot picture at the top of the 'colouring in pile' stared defiantly back at me, as if to say 'you must be ill if you are doing weird things like colouring me in'.  I mean who bloody cared whether the flowers were coloured in or not? (Cynicism much?).

My Paint-by-number
After a little while however, with a little bit of coaxing from my key worker, I began to warm to the idea. I picked up some felt-tips and started colouring in a pattern (note pattern, not flower pot!).  Slowly but surely I allowed myself to relax and even started communicating to some of the other patients in the room. I had actually forgotten what a good feeling it was to do something for the sake of relaxing and that didn't involve thinking [or driving!] at over 100 MPH.


Colouring a pattern takes enough concentration to move you away from your thoughts, but is not in any way taxing. Over the weeks I spent in the hospital, and subsequently once I was discharged, I found myself getting more and more involved with the colouring. Nearer the end of my 'stay' I found it difficult to tear myself away from the crafts room in fact! Just shows...



Collection of sudoku books
Another one of my distraction techniques over the years has been Sudoku. Well actually, Killer Sudoku if we are going to be particular. Again, I find it to be something I can really get my teeth into and can really escape from the world for a little while when I have sudoku book in front of me.  I will never be found without one of these books in my bag.  Some would call it bordering on the obsessive.

An attempt at cross-stitch
A lovely (short-lived) obsession of mine was taught to me by a fellow inpatient. I have forgotten all the rules of cross stitching (not that I knew them all that well when stitching Mr Happy by the looks of things), however I did find it something really exciting and once again therapeutic.  John Lewis had a number of small sized patterns for beginners; it is worth taking a look in the haberdashery section if you can. Alternatively, Amazon is always a good place to look for small things like Mr Happy!

I don't know if I have mentioned before, but I have been keeping a diary since January 2004! That's just over 9 years. I started when I was 14 and kept it up non-stop for about 6 years. Since then I have intermittently written things down/sent out my musings by email/blogged out my thoughts!

Diaries from the past decade
Diary keeping can be really helpful if you find yourself quite lonely. When I was younger, I found it difficult to communicate my thoughts to others. When I look through my Diaries however, I see how much I was thinking and how much I actually had to say. It is an amazing feeling to look back at how I was when I was 14 and see how much things have changed.  Apart from being [a little] more mature, I can see how I have managed to work on many of the areas I struggled with then.


Last but definitely not least: the powers of music to help keep you calm.  I strongly recommend Ludovico Einaudi's Le Onde - something quite spectacular. 'Le Onde' means 'The Waves' and it has been a part of my life since I was about 11.  I don't think I could ever get fed up of it.  It has strong memories connected with it, but I have learnt to love those memories! Have a listen, you won't regret it!
Other tracks of Einaudi worth listening to inclide 'Nefeli' and 'Passagio'


Other artists I connect to include Helen Jane Long (particularly 'Aviators' and 'Expression') Yanni, and even a little Richard Clayderman at times!

I am sure there are many other coping mechanisms you can think of that can help. Always lovely to hear what you have to say and to hear what has helped you.

Try one of these things out and you may be pleasantly surprised!

Sudoku book calling me...

Xx

Comments

  1. No shit, colouring and colouring books are the way forward when it comes to distraction.
    I remember being IP with this woman who had been getting sober, and she was due discharge and was going to a clean house and if she was caught drinking, that was it, out. She had nothing and was technically homeless. I went and bought a pile of colouring books, and those patterns you have above and a bunch of colouring pens. I said if all you do is stay in the house for days on end so you don't drink, colour. I am hopeful to say it really did pass the hours for her <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On therapy and therapists Part I

Life without ED

Another day, another post...