Questions (Part 1)

I asked whether anyone has any questions they would like to ask, or any tips they would like to give me or my readers.  I have now had the time to properly have a look at the questions asked and hope I can give answers that are useful!

Q: When you are at your lowest point, like, rock bottom, what helps you up? (besides medication!)

I don't know if I have all the answers yet. I hate to say it, but I don't always know what to do when I hit rock bottom.  I think the most important think is not to isolate.  However bad you are feeling, you need to let someone somewhere know. By talking about what is going on, there is a connection even if it is just for a few minutes. It is hard to open up and explain what is going on particularly if you are not used to talking to people about how you are feeling.  I now know that however much I have tried to make myself believe that my depression and the co-morbidities were of my own making, I know that this is not true.  And if I alone did not make myself ill, then I cannot get better alone.  It is sometimes as simple as allowing one person in. 

I have learnt over time what things I need to keep in place in order to stay safe when I am at my lowest.   I know that being out in my car usually makes the situation worse.  Although I often see it as a safe place because I find it gives me space and freedom, I now know that this is my depression's way of tricking me to be in a place that is difficult to actually be in control and where I am more alone than anywhere else.  It is important that you identify situations (or even people!) that make things better or worse. Once you identify the 'good' and the 'bad' it could be useful to write these somewhere you can see, so when you start to feel bad, you know what to do.

Most importantly I have the hindsight to remind me that when I feel at my lowest, it isn't going to last forever.   I often have to tell myself that I don't need to do anything about my feelings straight away.  Each time I put off the feelings, I am becoming a little stronger. By telling yourself it is just one more night to get through, it is much easier to deal with than thinking about a lifetime of feeling the way you are currently feeling.

The last part mentioned in the question regarding medication is something I find interesting.  When a person is suffering from an acute attack of depression, there is no 'wonder cure' to stop the feelings. Psychotropic medication like anti-depressants or mood stabilisers are drugs that are taken more long-term to generally help with regularity of mood.  They will not necessarily help you where something has triggered a particularly bad attack.  It is possible that your GP/psychiatrist can prescribe an anxyolitic such as Diazepam (often known as Valium) or Temazepam to help in the short term.  They may also prescribe a sleeping tablet such as Zopiclone or Zolpidem if you are having trouble sleeping.  However neither of these groups of medications should be taken for long as these drugs can lead to tolerance and addiction.

If things feel particularly out of control and you do not feel safe with the feelings you are having either tell someone you are close to to take you to the local Accident & Emergency room or call an ambulance.  Sometime being in a place that can keep you safe from acting on those feelings is the best thing in that moment and it is important that you accept that this is an option.

It is hard to fight it; particularly where it feels relentless.  But when things are bad it is about planning each hour of each day in a way that you feel safe and can at the least be distracted from the bad feelings.  I can't say I have mastered it, but I am trying!

I wish I had a black and white answer - a tried and tested method! But I hope these little tips can help.

If you have any more tips or other questions, please feel free to message me so I can publish them.


Xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On therapy and therapists Part I

Another day, another post...

Life without ED