'Save one person; save a world'

Ok so today's post is going to be a small rant on the subject of schools (a topic I am sure someone more educated (no pun intended) and more knowledgeable that me could write about, but I'll do my best!). 

Before I start I should say that I fully admire anyone who works in a school. The amount of work that goes into such a job is unbelievable. No one should take this in the way that teachers/schools are not appreciated. These are my views and take on the situation and should anyone feel that these are inaccurate, please do not hesitate to let me know.

What is going on in the schools that so many young people are being looked over? What happened to 'Chanoch l'naar al pi Darko' - educating each child in the way in which they need to be helped; helping each child reach their individual potential? 

There seem to be an increasing number of young people being diagnosed with mental health conditions yet from where I stand, there is still a huge lack of understanding on the part of the schools; places where these young children are spending the majority of their waking hours.

A child who comes to school with learning disabilities or a physical disability is given the help and encouragement that they need in order to gain the most out of their school experience. So why is this so different for those who are obviously unwell with an illness such as depression or anxiety?

It may not be my place to say it as I am not a school teacher (and believe me, you won't catch me doing that job with a gun to my head!), but from the knowledge I do have and from the young people I have been in contact with through my blog, there is a need for a serious change in perspective if these schools want to continue to bring up children who are stable enough to walk out their doors and face the world and its' challenges. 

I have half a mind to storm into the staffroom of all the local schools demanding an assembly. I want these children to know that if they are hurting, or if they feel desperate, that they are not alone and that there is help available. A child needs to feel supported on whatever path they decide to chose.The idea of expecting all pupils in a school to be exact clones of each other is ludicrous. You cant make a 'one size fits all' mould; no single person has the same fingerprint never mind personality, mind and feelings.

Sadly, these illnesses are slowly but surely permeating every household. The age of young people being diagnosed with mental illness is getting younger and younger. But YOU have the power to help. We may not be able to stop the illness, but we can give hope and understanding.

I am desperate to go into schools and talk to young people. I am desperate for teachers to read this and say they want to make a difference. I want each school to have someone who can keep on top of the well-being of the pupils. Ignoring it is not the answer. A school that allows a child to suffer miserably at the back of the classroom or who gives no support to their pupils, should not be kept open. For each three children who come out of school relatively stable, there is one that is suffering. That is a lot of suffering,

I am sounding so passionate because it hurts me to see the pain schools can cause for those who don't fit 'inside the box'. Open your minds; see what is there in front of your face; see suffering and HELP.

I really want this post to be spread. More than any other post. It would mean so much to me if you could email this/post it on your social networks. I need responses and I hope that this will reach those who actually have the power to change the situation. Please message me if you have read this post and please pass onto your contacts.

Wee need to look at each child (and of course each person!) as a world; 'Hol hamatzil nefesh echod ke'illu hitzel oilam maleh' - saving one person's life is like saving the world.  

Shall we try it? 

Comments

  1. Well said!
    Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you set up a team of people willing to go into school and speak? I would be happy to be part of such a project! I know it can be done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. I think we just have to be careful because unless we have someone professional guiding us, we may not be able to execute it in the best way. It will take time but I agree; we CAN co it! I would really like more volunteers so we can actually have something concrete to show the schools.
      Thank you for reading and commenting x

      Delete
  3. That's such a good point...especially in primary schools, stuff like that was never even mentioned. Maybe with a lot of things like anxiety, picky eating, shyness/social awkwardness, parents/teachers just assume that they'll grow out of it and it's just a phase. Hard, cos on one hand, for a lot of kids it won't be just a phase, and they could really benefit from some help...but on the other hand, kids that might just push through and grow up stronger could end up with a label that almost has a reverse-placebo effect? Or am I thinking FAR too much into the potential outcomes of talking to 10 year olds about mental health :P Though I do think they should have like confidence/social skills classes, even if they were just once a month...especially when kids are going off to join secondary school. Anyway...ending this ginormous comment now! (But ps- I discharge forever on Friday! Hopefully will see you in the next fortnight or so if you're free?!! I miss you!!!) xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very true. Schools seem to operate in a one size fits all fashion and there is a norm for what happens after school. A conveyor belt if you will.
    My only experience of mental health being discussed in school is when it came up in biology A-level. The way it was discussed made me feel worse than before, it was before I found the strength to go for help but I remember wishing that someone would notice and show me the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I would love to be involved in a mental health awareness project.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On therapy and therapists Part I

Another day, another post...

Life without ED