Thank you

Wow!

I had such an amazing response to my last post. It is obviously a topic that is close to many people's hearts.

Someone commented that it isn't individual teachers that are the ones who can change the situation in the schools and I agree - to a degree . But remember every individual has the power to turn someone's life around. 

And in response to 'you are trying to change a culture that is slowly changing' - that is exactly my aim!!!! Also:


No one person is going to save the young people. But as a group? I wouldn't even say it was just about the teachers looking out for those struggling, but bringing in various professionals to come into the school to speak about what mental illness means and how it may show in different people. It may mean that either a pupil goes up to someone and says they feel they may have the illness. It may mean that a friend sees the illness in another and opens up the conversation. It may mean that there is a child who seeks help before their illness becomes a part of them. Many teachers in my school saw that there was something wrong with me yet none attempted to help me in any way (I am not pinpointing blame at all). And yes, although I didn't want help, it was because I didn't know what was wrong!! Many kids are obstinate and are not interested in strangers trying to get involved with their lives, but I would say that this is 90% due to society's perception of mental illness and professional help being a label of craziness.

I don't know if the secrecy is anywhere near as bad in non-jewish schools. I just know that in Jewish schools many children do not have access to the internet (thank goodness!) and they therefore don't have a way of finding out what their symptoms mean.

Truth is I don't think the internet is the place for any child to be actually. It sounds quite a blanket statement but from the material there is out there I can't see anything but negativity coming from most online social networking. A child in trouble needs to find support from those around them, not from social chat rooms which at times can do more harm than good. Maybe I am just an oldie and I am not used to the idea of these 'recovery' networks but from where I stand, recovery is not eating an apple for breakfast and saying you are recovering from anorexia. This is a side point but it is a pet peeve of mine. It is no wonder there is a much wider prevalence of eating disorders and self-harm than ever before when people are posting pictures of themselves online making these behaviours the 'norm'. I often find that people who post self-harm etc online are almost making light of these behaviours. They are part of a real illness and are not for general public to see.

Saying that, I know I post my blog on the internet but it is NOT for the young children themselves. I hope you can understand the difference.

Although I am so so happy that people are reaching out to me and talking to me, it saddens me that there are so many out there who feel so alone. This is NOT helpful. We need to talk. Now.

Thank you for the new 'Likes' on my Facebook page. I am hoping to reach my 200 target soon. For every like, I believe I am opening this topic up to so many more people. If you haven't liked the page, you can do so here

Thank you again for your support. Please don't be silent readers; comment, question and share!

Comments

  1. Thanks for that weev. It's nice that u acknowledged everyone's thoughts and thanked us when we should be thanking u for bringing out such important topics! I hope ppl can be inspired and reach out from ur blog. Xx M

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On therapy and therapists Part I

Another day, another post...

Life without ED