The Crown Court

"It feels like one long nightmare; like being held under water, unable to catch a breath.
It seems endless, ceaseless, incessant.
The pain surpasses any other pain I have ever felt.
There is a mixture of hatred, anger and guilt. Fear, hopelessness, helplessness.
There are unanswered questions, confusing emotions.
There is disorder and turmoil within, chaotic and out of control.
And the worst part? That I can’t share it. Who can I tell? Who can understand?

It didn’t just happen overnight. It happened gradually over the four weeks I was there. I had no idea what was taking place until it was too late. Too late to pretend nothing had happened. I would do anything to go back in time and erase those four weeks from my life. I have tried to obliterate it, but to no avail. It won’t budge. It stays with me as long as I live. And to be quite honest, that terrifies me. For I have seen in the past few months that I am unable to survive with it inside of me"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above was something I typed up in June 2016, 6 months after I was sexually assaulted on a mental health ward by a male member of staff.

Last week I went to court to give evidence against the perpetrator. I had to stand up in front of a judge and jury and explain in detail what happened to me. I don't connect to the person who stood up and argued with the defence barrister. I know it was me, but I don't remember it being me. I have split myself up into pieces not wanting to associate myself with being a victim. 

He may have been found guilty. He may have been sentenced to prison, put on the sex offenders register for life and face possible deportation; but this is not something I feel I can celebrate. The fact is, there is still a part of me that is overwhelmed with guilt for what happened. 

I was weak and vulnerable.  I was suicidal and depressed.  I was struggling to keep going. I trusted the person who gave me their hand to help me up from the floor. I trusted the person who sat and spoke with me for long periods of time. Why did I not see what was happening? How  could I have been so stupid?

I struggle to understand how a ward where I was meant to be kept safe, could have caused so much damage. The lack of care and support on that ward led to a situation that should never have happened. Anybody who worked on that ward for those four weeks I was there should be thinking a lot more about their role in what ensued. Had the ward been run in the correct manner, had staff been doing the correct checks, had someone been speaking to me and seeing how I was, maybe this would never have happened. 

I don't really want anyone to tell me they have been through something similar.  I don't want congratulating from people who weren't there at the time. I don't want people to tell me I am strong. This wasn't strength. This was confusion. I feel like the weakest person alive. 

I don't know how to move on with my life right now.  The open wounds are pretty sore and I don't actually see how I am meant to allow this to heal.

I am sorry once again for being so negative. I am sorry for the intensity of this post. I really hope that I can move on with life and one day use this experience for a positive.

Comments

  1. You don't have anything you need to apologise for. I'm not going to say anything else because it would sound hollow given what you have said and been through, but I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On therapy and therapists Part I

Another day, another post...

Life without ED