Animal therapy (Piggies on Wheels)

So, winter has come upon us once again; and I, like most people, find this time of year to be a difficult one due to the depressive darkness and cold. However, on the up side, I have recently started to use the things in my life that keep me going on a daily basis to try help other people.

For those not in the know, I am the mother of 16(!) little fluffy things. I have 11 guinea pigs, 3 hamsters and 2 degus. These guys keep me occupied most of my free time and to be honest, are the only things that can get me out of bed most mornings.

Animals are amazing therapy when your'e feeling sad or low. They are so precious each in their own way and are thankfully more content with long silences and low eye contact than human beings seem to be! I mean how could you resist this face?!


I have recently made the slightly mad decision to start taking them out and about on wheels (well, in a pram) to visit people who need cheering up.

So far we have visited a Child and Adolescent Mental Health unit a couple of times, have gone into a primary school to do a presentation and have visited my Dad, who is currently recovering from a serious operation. Each visit has brought smiles to people's faces and that's really all I want to do.

When I was in hospital in August, I was very lucky that the ward I was on allowed my parents to bring in a couple of my guinea pigs. It helped me so much to see my babies and feed them, love them and just feel wanted.

So, if you (or anyone you know) needs a little cheering up, email me on piggiesonwheels17@gmail.com  (our website is currently being set up). Meanwhile you can also follow my cute little critters on instragram - @piggiesonwheels

We can't wait to meet you!

Love

L- R Ellie, Dougal, Munch, Crunch, Pretzel, Panda,
Muffin, Puffin, Stitch, Pip and Florence (Guinea pigs)

Marbles (Syrian Hamster)
Scooter (Syrian Hamster)

Snowy (Russian Dwarf Hamster)
Leonard (Degu)
Sheldon (degu)
And PigMum of course (with Dougal!)

Comments

  1. That's such a good idea! To take them out, I mean.

    I've been wondering lately if a pet would help me with my depression, but it's academic as (a) I'm not allowed pets in my flat and more to the point (b) my flat is tiny (it's a converted garage) and there isn't even room to fit a goldfish in here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On therapy and therapists Part I

Another day, another post...

Life without ED